2011 Vin Rouge


Warm red stone fruits, anise, blueberry, wood smoke and autumn leaves


Round and voluptuous, medium weight, with soft elegant tannins, finishing clean and bright

Food Pairings

Pasta Bolognese, crisp skin duck, lean game meats and roasted marrow bones


Located on the west slope of the Blue Ridge Mountains, between 1100 and 1300 feet above sea level. This planting consists of 10 acres of 3- to 15-year-old vines, growing in deep, steep and well drained rocky soils. The vines are cane pruned and trained to both the Open Lyre and double Guyot systems.


2011 was a fine growing season but ended on a down note with a very challenging and wet harvest season. Bud break occurred normally, around mid-April and flowering too was normal, around the first of June. Summer temperatures were normal, with some hot days and some cool ones. Rainfall was normal for most of the summer, turning very dry in August just before harvest. On August 26th, 1.5 inches of rain fell from the remnants of hurricane Irene. Then on September 4, the onslaught of Tropical storm Lee began, bringing 5 inches of rain, and the rains did not stop for another 30 days. We left our red grapes to hang through the rains and when it was all over they had gained ripeness but about 50% was lost. All of our red grapes required bleeding off juice soon after crushing to reduce the dilution effect from these rains.


A blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 36% Petit Verdot, and 14% Merlot. The grapes were hand harvested and chilled overnight. A triple sorting, (at picking in the vineyard, and on the crush pad, pre and post destemming) was performed and the berries were destemmed without crushing. The whole berries filled small one-ton fermenters and then cold soaked for 4 days. Moved into the fermentation room, the bins were warmed to 60 degrees Fahrenheit and inoculated with yeast. Fermentation lasted about 7 to 10 days with 2 cap punch downs each day. After about 1 week of additional maceration, the wine was pressed off, allowed to settle overnight and racked into barrels the next morning. The barrels were inoculated with a malolactic culture and this fermentation lasted from 30 to 60 days. Once ML fermentation was complete the wine was racked out of the fermentation room back into our cellar and allowed to rest. During the summer of 2012, the final blends were made. Bottled unfiltered in August 2012.

300 cases produced. Drink now through 2016.


Sold out